Maryland NARFE Chapter 1747 News Flash!
- The January 2017 newsletter is posted. Find it with the others newsletters.
- January 19 – General Meeting: Tips to Save Money on your 2016 Taxes: Diane Polangin will present Tax Tips for your 2016 Returns.
- January 25 USM Legislative Forum, Annapolis, MD
- February 7 Federation Board Meeting, Bowie, MD
- February 16 – General Meeting: Ernie Walker, from the Emergency Preparedness section of the Prince George's Emergency Management Office speaks on how to make emergencies a bit easier to survive.
- March 12–15 National Legislative Training
- March 15 NARFE Day on Capitol Hill
- March 16 – General Meeting: TBD
- April 20 – General Meeting: TBD
- April 30–May 2 MD Federation 43rd Biennial Convention, Ocean City, MD
- May 18 – General Meeting: Meet your legislators.
- June 15 – General Meeting: Installation of chapter officiers luncheon.
- October 3 MD Federation Board Meeting, Bowie, MD
- October 23 MD Federation Training Day, Bowie, MD
- Read The 2016 Legislative Program of the Maryland Federation of Chapters of NARFE.
- Read NARFE’S LEGISLATIVE PROGRAM FOR THE 114th CONGRESS(2015-2016)
- More on the War Against Federal / Postal Workers and Retirees – Read Sen. Rand Paul’s Congressional Health Care for Seniors Act.
- Check out what Mike Causey, Senior Correspondent, Federal News Radio, says about NARFE.
- Make an online donation personally or on behalf of your NARFE chapter to the Alzheimer's Association.
We hold general membership meetings at 10:00 a.m. on the third Thursday of each month, except in June, July, August, November and December. Each general membership meeting includes a special interesting and informative program. These meetings are held at Bowie Senior Center, 14900 Health Center Drive, Bowie, 20716.
Every October, a special membership meeting is held. This special meeting features presentations from several of the largest health insurance providers so that you can become knowledgeable about Open Season changes. This meeting is in the Multi-purpose Room at Kenhill Center (old Bowie City Hall) at 10:00 a.m.
Each June meeting is combined with a luncheon in odd-numbered years and a picnic in even-numbered years. In December, the meeting is combined with a holiday luncheon. There are no general membership meetings in July or August.
What is NARFE?
The National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association (NARFE) is an organization whose members are current or retired federal workers and their spouses. Its main purpose is to protect the earned benefits of its members. On the chapter level, NARFE holds regular meetings, creates social contacts, provides help in dealing with the federal bureaucracy, advocates for the NARFE national organization’s issues, advocates for state issues that mainly benefit seniors, and provides information on NARFE activities and concerns.
NEW MEMBERS NEEDED
Do you know of a business or facility (bank, fitness facility, spa, medical office, etc) that will let us display our newsletter and/or the NARFE magazine? Please let Jerry Kursban or any other officer know. If you are still working for the government, maybe you can take several copies of the newsletter/magazine to work with you to display.
REMEMBER NARFE IS THE ONLY ORGANIZATION YOU CAN DEPEND ON WHILE YOU ARE STILL WORKING OR HAVE RETIRED
Just look at the benefits you are now receiving. You can thank NARFE for beating on the doors of the legislators to ensure we receive all that we earned over our working years.
More Than Paying Dues
Paying dues to NARFE and Chapter 1747 makes you a member in good standing, delivers the national magazine and the chapter’s newsletter to you by mail, and now will provide even more information via the Internet.
But to be a “good member” takes some effort on your part. It entails attending membership meetings, participating in special events, working on committees, lobbying, holding office. It means recognizing that it’s your organization, and its continued success and growth depend on the participation of a greater circle of members – not just a limited number of officers and activists.
Advantages of Belonging to NARFE
NARFE is a membership organization of current and retired federal employees, spouses and survivors. NARFE is open to all persons who are receiving, or will be eligible to receive, an annuity or survivor annuity from any of the retirement programs of a civilian agency of the US Government.
NARFE is involved in protecting the earned retirement benefits of its members in over 2000 chapters in the United States. There is no other organization that can accomplish this.
Through NARFE, members receive the latest information on retirement issues, taxes, financial planning, and health benefits. In addition, members receive the monthly NARFE Magazine, written especially for current and retired federal employees. Members can also sign up for NARFE’s Global E-mail Messaging System (GEMS) for the most up-to-date information from NARFE Headquarters.
When you join NARFE, you are assigned a local chapter that meets on a monthly basis, 10 times a year. The chapter provides social contacts, information on chapter activities in the community and also lobbies its state legislature on issues important to members of NARFE and the local community.
To join, click here and obtain a membership application.
How Chapter 1747 Greater Bowie-Crofton Area Began
Fifty people assembled on April 15, 1980 at Bowie City Hall to form the Bowie-Crofton Chapter of NARFE. That meeting was organized by Ben Zitomer, a member of the College Park-Greenbelt Chapter who, along with others who lived in Bowie and Crofton, wanted to form their own chapter. Those 50 people signed on, and the quest for a charter for the new chapter proceeded.
On April 28, 1980 they adopted a constitution and by-laws, which national NARFE approved on May 6. On October 31, they were granted their charter and “empowered to do all things pertaining to the good of the organization ...“.
Since the beginning, the chapter has steadily grown, and today our membership hovers around 900 current federal employees and retirees and their spouses. Our chapter includes members from the five communities listed in our charter -- Bowie, Crofton, Mitchellville, Odenton, and Gambrills — as well as other surrounding areas.
Do you have any suggestions or comments? Is there additional material we should put here? If you find technical problems, tell us which Web browser you use, including the version number. Contact the Webmaster.
This is the official Web site of
NARFE Chapter 1747 – Greater Bowie-Crofton Area.
Created by Bill Meenahan as a public service. Maintained by Flash Gordon.
This page was updated 12 January 2017.
Opinions and positions that appear on this Web site are not necessarily those of NARFE’s national organization, despite the fact that this site bears the NARFE national organization’s name and seal.